Saturday, August 28, 2010

So today was the day I was supposed to have my novel done.

About three and a half months ago (or maybe it was four? I dunno - my memory sucks) I gave myself a deadline. I thought this deadline would lit a fire under my writing butt so much that I would stay up all night clicking away at the keyboard trying to give my character her ending that she's been dying to have for the past two and a half years. That's right people - two and a half years I've been messing around with this story. Changing the character's past, changing the plot lines, changing just about every single thing you can think of.

I'm not one to brag, but I'm a pro at writing beginnings. Beginnings are my things. I can write a damn good beginning but get me to the middle and the end - holy moly I've never really fully reached that unless you count fanfiction which you probably don't. This book though. Oh my. This book has had a total of 12 beginnings. 12! That might not seem like a lot to some, but this is unheard of from me. It's also had about four complete 100 page starts. That's 400 pages I've written in the past two and a half years that never even really reached the good middle. INSANITY!

I failed. I didn't meet my deadline today. After starting over completely three and half (or maybe four? who the heck knows by now) I wrote 100 new pages of stuff. And you know what I did two weeks ago? I started all over again. After changing this plot to that plot and trying to make my main character's damn boyfriend fit into everything (seriously this guy was a fiance then went to a boyfriend back to a fiance then I just made him break her heart at the beginning cause I had to have a reason why she's so damn angry), coming up with a few reasons of what happened the night that made my character leave town in the first place it ALL CAME TO ME! You know what those ideas were? The whole idea I had when I first started this story two and a half years ago.

So what does all this rambling mean? It means that sometimes when your story is frustrating you and driving you bonkers don't give up on that grand awesome epic idea you had that made you want to write it. Sure you should venture out into other ideas. Sometimes when you think a plot isn't working you just need to look through it all. Don't just drop it like a hot potato. Charge through it. Don't be like me and have about 4 huge main files, 8 random beginnings, and 2 files filled with notes that equal about oh 100 pages (holy crap that makes 500! pages!). Don't stray away from your story just because SHINY! NEW! FUN! ideas come along. Just write the damn thing already!

But in case you're wondering according to my little word counter I am 57% with my novel and on the right track at least I think for today.

I have no clue if this post made sense. I was supposed to be in bed over an hour ago.

1 comment:

Feel free to comment - they make me feel special. Plus I will think you are awesome if you do leave one. Seriously. You are awesome.