Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I need a name.

Before I go into my spill for those of you who didn't know, I've started a new WIP. It's nickname is Fairy Tale.

Okay, back to the post.

I've been messing around with Fairy Tale, and for the life of me I cannot come up with this one character's name who is going by Nameless Dude at the moment. I went on twitter getting suggestions. Some I loved. Some I did not. Then I bounced around a few names for feedback. My first thought was Keaton. Then I went to Kyler then to Aiden. At one point Adrian, and then for about 10 minutes it was Garren before I decided to go back to Aiden. But none of these sound right.

I don't get it. I'm GOOD with character names. They just hit me like BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

Not this time. I think it's my fault too because Nameless Dude is kind of an ass. He's stubborn, mean, and thinks he deserves respect just by walking in the door. I've looked through my baby book. I've looked through countless websites, but no name has struck me. I have major problems with writing him when I can't exactly name him.

So fellow writers, how do you get your character names? Any sites you can suggest? Or just any suggestions in general?

2 comments:

  1. I sometimes look at sites, usually ones where I can do it by origin. I really like Gaelic names for some reason and have found some good ones in there.

    What about Clayton? or Colton... or even Weston? Those all kind of make me think of jerks... I'll keep thinking, but maybe try by origin, especially if you look up the origin of Aiden, Keaton and Kyler-- see where those are coming from and stick with that style? Hope you find one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a list of names from a website, and I'll play on Behind the Name's random name generator... that's fun because you get insane names and it makes me giggle XD

    For what had to be three months before I started my WIP, my MC was nameless. I just could NOT think of a name that fit her. Eventually, I whined about it on twitter, and a friend of mine suggest Ava or Avery. Bingo, a character was named.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment - they make me feel special. Plus I will think you are awesome if you do leave one. Seriously. You are awesome.