Thursday, March 10, 2011

What's Your Writing Style?


I stole this from the lovely Cheryl.

1. Are you a “pantser” or a “plotter?”
I'm really both. Any story I start, I always have a general idea of what the book is supposed to be about. Usually after a chapter or so in, my mind is already racing with different ideas. Take Gus' story for example. If I would have stuck to my main idea from way-way back in the day, there would have been 8 kids in her family and it would have been a YA novel with no guy named Memphis in it. That my friends would be a crying shame.

2. Detailed character sketches or “their character will be revealed to me as a I write”?
I've tried doing a full-on character sketch before, but I don't always do them. I think the fun of writing is discovering who this person is you're writing about.

3. Do you know your characters’ goals, motivations, and conflicts before you start writing or is that something else you discover only after you start writing?
Sometimes. Usually with my general idea of what I want the story to be about, I kind of have a good feel of how my character is, but not all the time. Like with my first ever wannabe novel, I thought Serenity would be kind of a more snobby attention seeking girl, but it just wasn't here halfway through the story.

4. Books on plotting – useful or harmful?
I really haven't read any so I can't answer this question truthfully. Most of the time when I read what people say 'works' for writing, I end up getting ticked off. It's like who made you the Writing God? Write what comes to you. Not what someone says is the right way.

5. Are you a procrastinator or does the itch to write keep at you until you sit down and work?
Once upon when I was heavy into fanfiction, I would ditch out on my friends to stay home and write, write, write. Now it's like I try to put it off as much as possible which is stupid considering how much I love it. I always welcome the writing itch with open arms when it comes a creepin'.

6. Do you write in short bursts of creative energy, or can you sit down and write for hours at a time?
Now a days it seems like it's more in short bursts. I'm trying to stick hard on the concept of writing at least 1K a day. The other night, I flew out of a bed a little after midnight and busted out almost 3.5K.

7. Are you a morning or afternoon writer?
I'm 'whenever the mood strikes' type of writer it seems. I tried waking up early to write in the mornings before work, but it's so hard to drag myself out of bed. I just stick to whenever I can get something in.

8. Do you write with music/the noise of children/in a cafe or other public setting, or do you need complete silence to concentrate?
I have to have music. It's also part of the process I do when I first start writing a story - I have to make a soundtrack. I never really thought writing while music was playing was a big deal until one day at school I decided to work on a story, and I couldn't handle the room being so quiet. Music inspires me and motivates me, and without it I'd be so screwed.

9. Computer or longhand? (or typewriter?)
Computer. I can barely take notes during class anymore, my hand cramps up so bad. When I was little, I used to fill notebooks full of stories. Kind of funny how that changed.

10. Do you know the ending before you type Chapter One?
Only a couple times has that happened.

11. Does what’s selling in the market influence how and what you write?
Nope. My brain doesn't function like that.

12. Editing – love it or hate it?
Editing is a curse because I catch myself CONSTANTLY EDITING! It's never a bad thing to catch yourself, but sometimes I can't even get past three chapters or writing because I keep going back and changing this and  making sure this flows or that flows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment - they make me feel special. Plus I will think you are awesome if you do leave one. Seriously. You are awesome.